Hero Section label
Alicia Barkley is an experienced and devoted Family Law attorney based in Tyler, Texas. As a native Texan, she has always taken pride in her roots and conservative values. After attending Stephen F. Austin State University with an academic scholarship, Alicia graduated early and pursued further education at South Texas College of Law. Prior to graduating from law school, Alicia interned with the Angelina County District Attorney's Office. After receiving her Doctor of Jurisprudence degree, Alicia moved to Tyler, where she began her career with the Smith County District Attorney’s office in March of 1995.
After working briefly in the misdemeanor unit, Alicia was promoted to felony prosecutor and continued to represent the citizens of Smith County in that capacity for over seven years. She has practiced law in all three felony courts of Smith County, and was responsible for the prosecution of thousands of violent offenders. Working in an administration with a reputation of being especially tough on violent criminal behavior provided Alicia with the critical knowledge necessary to successfully and professionally represent her clients. To date, Alicia has prosecuted more sex offenders than any other prosecutor in Smith County, and tried the first case in Texas under the statute that required mandatory life sentences for repeat sexual offenders. Alicia has published literature regarding the procedural processes of the prosecution of sexual offenders, educating other litigators on both a county and state level. Alicia was also an original member of the steering committee that designed and created what is now known as the Children's Advocacy Center.
Since opening the Law Offices of Alicia Barkley in 2002, Alicia has personally represented hundreds of clients in every aspect of Family Law. Whether you are seeking legal representation for a divorce, adoption, child custody or paternity dispute, enforcement, or modification to an existing order, The Law Offices of Alicia Barkley are here for you.
- South Texas College of Law: Doctorate of Jurisprudence, 1992-1994
- Stephen F. Austin State University: Bachelor of Arts, 1988-1991
- 2021: Lawyers of Distinction
- 2006-2007, 2008-2009, 2005-2006, 2009-2010, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2016-2017, 2017-2018: Received Certificate for Outstanding Pro Bono Volunteer Attorney Service from Lone Star Legal Aid
- BBB Gold Star Award
- 2017: Nominated “Fellow” of the Texas Bar Foundation
- 2017: Recipient of the Most Litigated Cases Handled Award by Smith County Bar Foundation/Lone Star Legal Aid
- 2016: Named to the Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas for years of legal services to low-income Texans.
- 2016: Certificate of Appreciation from Adult Protective Services for service on the Board of Directors
- 2014: Recipient of the Volunteer Attorney of the Year award by Lone Star Legal Aid in recognition of outstanding and demonstrated commitment to equal justice for all.
- 2013-2014: Named “Who’s Who of Executives and Professionals”
- 2013: Named to the Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas for years of legal services to low-income Texans.
- 2006: Named to the Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas for years of legal services to low-income Texans.
- 2003: Recipient of the East Texas Crisis Center Hope Award, for outstanding pro bono representation of domestic violence victims in Smith County.
- 2003-2013: Certificate of Appreciation from the Smith County Bar Foundation for outstanding volunteer attorney service.
- 2001: Recipient of the East Texas Crisis Center Hope Award, for outstanding prosecution of sexual assault cases in Smith County.
- Presenter, Legislative Updates on HIPAA Requirements, to the Smith County Bar Association, 2017
- Presenter, Legislative Updates on HIPAA Requirements, to the Smith County Family Law Section, 2016
- Original Steering Committee Member of Smith County Children’s Advocacy Center
- Smith County Bar Association
- Smith County Young Lawyers Association
- Smith County Republican Women
- Smith County Salvation Army Women’s Auxiliary
- Committee member: Pro Bono Project, Family Law Section of theSmith County Bar
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, East Texas Better Business Bureau
- Member, Tyler Area Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Smith County Peace Officer’s Association
- Member, American Business Women’s Association
- Member, M.A.D.D.
- Member, State Bar of Texas - Pro Bono College
- Adult Protective Services (Board of Directors)
- Named "Who’s Who of Executives and Professionals"
- Specialty Certification to Mediate cases involving Child Protective Services
- Certified Advanced Family Law Mediator
- Licensed to the Texas State Bar in May of 1995, in good standing -- no disciplinary actions
- Member of the Smith County Bar Association, in good standing -- no disciplinary actions
- Member of the American Bar Association, in good standing -- no disciplinary actions
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation